Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Where is Woman's Place - Guru Nanak


Woman

Within woman, man is conceived;
From woman, man is born;

To woman he is engaged, then married.
Woman remains his close friend;
she lays the path of life with him.

When his woman dies,
man seeks another woman;
he cannot do without her.

Weren't kings
born from her?
And other women too?

And Man calls her bad!
And He thinks her low!
Why I ask, why?

Without woman there'd be no one at all;
I say woman's place is next to God.

– Guru Nanak, Raag Aasaa Mehal 1, Page 473

I did this translation to celebrate the International Women's Day: http://shivsangels.blogspot.com/2011/03/guru-nanak-rightful-place-of-woman.html

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Thank you. This is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too ... my dear Guru Nanak is awesome! Can't wait to translate more of his writings ...

    ReplyDelete